Del Taco is a popular fast food chain that serves Mexican-inspired cuisine. However, some people may be wondering if Del Taco’s food is halal.
Let’s take an in-depth look at Del Taco’s ingredients, food preparation, and certification to find out.
What is Halal?
First, let’s cover the basics. Halal is an Arabic word that means “permissible” or “lawful” in Islam.
When it comes to food, halal refers to dishes that adhere to Islamic dietary guidelines.
For meat to be considered halal, it must come from certain animal sources (cattle, goats, sheep, poultry) that are slaughtered according to Islamic ritual procedure.
Alcohol, pork and pork by-products are strictly prohibited. Fish and seafood are generally halal as well.
Beyond meat, foods, additives and seasonings must also be free of any haram (impermissible) ingredients.
What is Del Taco?
Del Taco is an American fast food chain that specializes in Mexican-American cuisine like tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and nachos.
The first Del Taco restaurant was established in 1964 in Yermo, California by Ed Hackbarth and David Jameson. Since then, the chain has grown to over 600 locations across 14 states.
Many major food brands choose to obtain halal certification from accredited organizations to verify their products meet halal standards.
This provides Muslim consumers looking for halal options peace of mind. As of today, Del Taco has not pursued official halal certification for its menu.
However, just because a restaurant lacks certification does not automatically signify it serves no halal offerings.
We must look at the specific menu ingredients and preparation procedures to make an accurate judgement.
Del Taco Ingredients
When examining Del Taco’s ingredients more closely, we find mostly halal-friendly components.
Their beef is 100% pure American ground beef, while their chicken is marinated with a simple blend of celery, bell peppers, chili peppers, cilantro, oregano and other spices.
Del Taco uses all-natural chicken with no antibiotics or added hormones. The seafood options like their beer-battered fish tacos are also halal, since they use cod, a permissible fish for Muslims.
As far as vegetarian ingredients, their beans, rice, lettuce, tomatoes and other produce are halal.
They even offer Beyond Meat crumbles and burgers for plant-based options. The tortillas, salsas, sauces and spices also read as generally halal.
Is Del Taco Food Halal?
Del Taco does not specifically state on its website whether its food is halal. However, the company does offer a number of vegetarian and vegan options, which would be suitable for Muslims who do not eat meat.
Additionally, Del Taco’s allergen guide does not list pork or alcohol as ingredients in any of its menu items.
Can Muslims Eat at Del Taco?
Based on the information available, it is likely that Muslims can eat at Del Taco without violating any religious restrictions.
However, it is always best to check with the restaurant directly to confirm the halal status of specific menu items.
Del Taco Halal Options
If you are a Muslim looking for halal options at Del Taco, here are a few suggestions:
- Bean and Cheese Burrito: This burrito is made with beans, rice, cheese, and your choice of salsa.
- Veggie Burrito: This burrito is made with beans, rice, vegetables, and your choice of salsa.
- Quesadilla: This quesadilla is made with your choice of protein, cheese, and vegetables.
- Tacos: Del Taco offers a variety of tacos, including chicken, beef, fish, and veggie tacos.
- Salads: Del Taco also offers a variety of salads, including a Caesar salad, a Cobb salad, and a taco salad.
Del Taco Alternatives
If you’re looking for Del Taco alternatives, here are a few great options:
- Taco Bell: Taco Bell is another popular fast food chain that serves Mexican food. Taco Bell offers a wider variety of menu items than Del Taco, including breakfast items, desserts, and more.
- Chipotle Mexican Grill: Chipotle is a fast-casual Mexican restaurant that serves burritos, tacos, and salads.
- La Taqueria: La Taqueria is a California-based chain that serves authentic Mexican food. La Taqueria’s menu features tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and more.
- Taco Bueno: Taco Bueno is a fast food chain that specializes in Mexican food. Taco Bueno offers a variety of menu items, including tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and more.
The Bottom Line
In summary, from my perspective, Del Taco is not officially certified halal. However, with careful ordering, it seems possible to eat halal at Del Taco by avoiding non-halal menu items.
I believe it provides a convenient option for Muslims seeking a quick halal-friendly meal. That said, more religiously observant Muslims may wish to avoid Del Taco and opt for fully certified halal restaurants to eliminate any doubts.
Each person must make their own judgment based on their comfort level. Hopefully this overview gives helpful insight into which menu items likely meet or violate Islamic dietary laws for those wishing to dine at Del Taco.